Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bank interview

Bank of maharashtra interview , Hyderabad, 23rd march 2011
Keeping in view the changed pattern of civil services exam, I decided to write bank exams for practice. But later I realised that the marks are not disclosed by banks. Only the result i.e. whether you are selected or not is disclosed.
I wrote around 6-7 exams spread over 2 months(dec-jan). so far 3 results have been declared. Two banks (allahabad and vijaya) showed me the door. Surprisingly bank of maharashtra called me for the interview.Here is an account of what happened at the interview:
I had reached the place around 11 AM. It was one small multi-storey building. I was directed to the third floor. It was a video conference room. Then I realised that interview was going to be conducted through video conference. Ignorant of that fact, I bought new shoes and watch!! Alas all in vain.
I was second on list for interview. My certificates were verified. Most of the candidates were uncles and aunties(28-30 yrs). Hence the person verifying the certificates was doubtful about my age and I had to submit my driving license as proof of my age!!
The video conferencing room had an old Onida TV with a web cam sort of thing. At 12:30, it came up and a group of buddas and one aunty were sitting on other side. The group of buddas were restless to start off the interview. So we were shunted out of the air conditioned room into the corridor . Luckily I was number two on list , so didn’t have to wait for long. I pity others who had to wait in the hot sun and also the hot air blowing out of AC compressors placed in corridors
At around 12:40 , my turn came. I went and took my place. I could hardly make out the faces of the people. For me it was just 4-5 faceless people on other side, I hope it wasn’t so for them. Here starts my interview
Lady: So vaishnov, tell me about yourself, your back ground, your work experience, your parents etc
Me; I am bharath vaishnov,basically from hyderbad but my schooling has been across the length and breadth of country since my father is working in HPCL a PSU. I have completed my B.Tech from ASE bangalore. My hobbies are speed cubing and blogging. During my engg course, I got an opportunity to work with Bosch. [While working there I realised that IT sector was not for me. Out there people work in a narrow field. All work they do is going to serve only the needs of a small strata of society]******* . I want to work in a sector where 30-40 years down the line, I feel that through my work I have been able to serve the needs of a wider section of people. This is when I decided that banking is one sector which is on a rise and is serving the people at large. With the financial inclusion drive on, I am sure banking sector provides a wider scope to serve the society. Hence I have decided to join the banking sector
P1: Who is a leader?
Me: Leader is one who can get things done. Hence he/she should be able to motivate the people towards achieving the organisational goals. Also at same time , he/ she should make efforts to bring the employees goals in sync with organisational goals. That way they will be able to serve the cause of organisation in a better way.
Lady: What is your short term and long term goal?
Me: My goal is to be successful in what ever endeavour I take up. I would like to see myself in long term at a position where I feel satisfied about the work I have done and at same time people feel good about my work
Lady: what is success?
Me: It is all about achieving the goals that one has set for themselves and also at same time ensuring that in due course it brings happiness to the people around.
Lady: how do you think your educational qualification is going to help in your job ?
Me: Engineering provides problem solving skills. It helps in developing an analytical bent of mind. This will surely help in my job as a bank officer
P2: The bank is recruiting 400 probationary officers. What do you think is the reason?
Me: With the government insisting on financial inclusion, I am sure there will be a need to expand the bank network. Especially considering that bank of maharashtra is a leader in rural banking considering that 38% of the bank’s branches in rural areas, I am sure there will be a huge need for manpower. This can help bank put more people at cutting edge level and get more out of their network.
P3: will it improve efficiency/ productivity of bank?
Me: it depends on how the organisation handles it. If the new recruits are imparted the required skills and put in right place at right time, I am sure there will be a boost in productivity
P4: What are the expectations of employee towards the employer?
Me; as I said before, it is important that people are put in right place at right time. I think that is a key factor
P4: 2nd factor?
Me: errrr…..It is also important to provide a person exposure in different fields. Regular rotation of job should be there to ensure that job doesn’t become monotonous and employees remain motivated
P3: You are 21 year old. Under you people of 40-50 year old will be working. DO you think you can handle the situation?
Me: I have faced such situations during my internship at Bosch(bluff) . So I don’t think that will be a problem(I should have said that authority flows from position and not the person and hence if what you are doing is right, I think there will be no problems)
P1: ok thank you. You may go
Me: thanks for giving me this opportunity

I was disappointed that no economics questions were asked. Neither did they ask about their bank nor current affairs. Lets wait and see how the result is gonna be.

There ends my interview. Hope to see a positive result. They had called 1500 people for 400 vacancies. Hope I end up among the 400

*******The italicized lines are not my true opinions. it was made up just to satisfy the egos of interviewers.


Result:

On 25th april, i got a mail from bank intimating me about my selection as a bank PO. I was supposed to join on 9th of may at Latur in maharashtra with an initial pay pack of 14000 per month.

1 comment:

Sumukh said...

All the best !!
A very informative guide for people preparing for interviews :)