Friday, May 22, 2009

BHARATH-A 20yr Sojourn

CHAPTER 3
 After 3 years of schooling(UKG-2nd) at ARLM , I adjusted to the new place and people . I enjoyed my schooling @ cuddalore. Though my home was near the quite and deserted sea shore I did not like venturing near the shore. I used to watch only English movies in the only AC theatre over there. For some unknown reasons I feared the waves and never dared go close to it. However I did garner courage and venture into the shores with some of my relatives when they came down to my house. But I slipped and fell down and the waves completely overwhelmed me. I thought I was drowning but it was just a high tide. This scared me out of my pants and my fear heightened.
 
 My dad got me lovebirds from Pondicherry. We got a large blue customized cage for the two birds. I enjoyed watching them play around and fight among each other. Apart from that I liked torturing the Ants(Both red and black). I liked trapping them in transparent boxes and feed them with sugar and other eatables. I then poured water into the boxes and saw them drowning to death. With the black ants it was much more fun. The black were aggressive then the red ants and i used to force them to fight against each other. I used to play around with gi-joes which I had bought on my trips to Chennai. During my summer holidays after my 2nd standard I went on my first flight(Air India) from Chennai to hyderabad. Though a short flight the experience was exhilarating. Today after som many flights , that first flight still remains special . 
 
After 1 month into third standard, I got a jolter. My dad got transfer orders to move to Cochin. I was shocked by this sudden change that was going to come in my life. The fact that I had to leave the wonderful place and people should have saddened me. But somehow the joy of moving to a new place was more than the sorrow of leaving of Cuddalore. I packed my things and set out on a journey to my new residence. I forgot to mention about the vehicles that we had. When we came to cuddalore we had a customized maruti car with a wonderful AC and power windows making it one of the very few luxury cars in town. After a few years we bought a second hand Fiat(premier padmini). It was a car that was used by Rajiv Gandhi during his campaigning in Tamil Nadu. We drove all the way from cuddalore to Cochin in our new fiat car. The AC was so powerful that after a few hours ice particles started coming out of it during our journey to Cochin. We reached Cochin after a 14 hour long journey. As the academic year had already started, getting seat in a school was tough. However my dad managed to get me a seat in one of the prestigious schools in City. My school was Chinmaya Vidyalaya. It was a school run by Chinmaya Mutt . It was mutt formed my H H Chinmayananda Swamiji. We managed to get a home near the school. My school was in vaduthala. My home was in SRLM cross roads near pachalam market. The area where we were staying was known as Ernakulam. I believe Cochin was far from there. 
 The House we were staying in was a two storey house with a slanted roof which was characteristic of houses in Kerala. We stayed in the first floor. Our owners stayed in the ground floor . The birds enjoyed seemed tired after the long journey and didn’t chirp much for the first few days. My school was just a few meters away from my home. So not much travelling had to be done. Even my dad’s office was nearby but he had to go through a railway crossing which was closed most of the time which resulted in him being late most of the times.  
In the next chapter I will discuss about my schooling and the exciting times that I spent at cochin.

1 comment:

Rahul said...

Well written.....Nice references...The fiat is the stand out mention for itz historic importance of being in cavalcade of PM Rajiv Gandhi...(dunno hw lucky that proved to be for i assume 21st May 91 was soon to follow leading to the assasination...)..N itz AC is jst wat we need in India..specially in ths March- June season in Delhi...Who wants frost free ACs anyway here in delhi!He he....nyways the initial part shows the barbarian in you resultin in massacre of so amny ants...BAD!!

Well nice for u to have taken up this great endaevour!keep going.....do mention about ur close frnds soon!;)